San Jacinto Council
When I was active as an outdoor trainer,
one of the tips we gave to leaders was to make ditty bags, just
- Plastic gallon bleach jug, cut off top where it begins to curve in toward spout.
- Length of 10 inch wide fabric, cotton/poly is good
- enough to go around circumference of jug, plus seam allowance.
- Twice length of sturdy cording, circumference of jug, plus a foot or so.
- Using a paper punch, make holes around top (the cut off end) of jug. spaced about 1/2 inch apart.
- Sew both short ends of fabric together to make a cylinder
- Fold a hem bottom of fabric, and using cord threaded in large size needle, attach fabric to jug.
- Fold & sew a hem top of fabric wide - leaving a 1 inch space open
- Run cord thru top hem so the top can be pulled shut
- Tie the cord ends in a square knot (reef knot).
Besides recycling the plastic jug, this is an easy "craft" or gadget for even Brownies to do. And the plastic is great on wet sink counters, and even from protecting other things in the girl's pack if something spills. and if your bathrooms have hooks for towels the ditty bag can be hung on the hook too.