Whiteknights District, Abbey Division
Reading, Berkshire, England
Source - The Girl Guide Annual 1983 (UK)
- 3 wooden cocktail sticks
- scraps of thin card and felt
- powder or poster paints, or felt tipped pens
- polyurethane varnish
- white spirit
- fine sandpaper
- a large safety pin
- pencil, ruler, pair of scissors, sharp knife and a small paintbrush
- Uhu or other fabric glue
- Measure the cocktail sticks and cut each one exactly in half. These will become the pencils. Sandpaper each one, taking care to smooth the cut ends.
- Colour the shaft of each 'pencil' leaving the pointed end bare apart from a tiny dab of colour on the tip.
- Cut a rectangle of card and one of felt 1.5 x 3.5cm.
- When the 'pencils' are dry, mount them side by side on the card with their points protruding, using glue.
- Give your 'pencil set' two coats of varnish, making sure the first is thoroughly dry before you apply the second.
- Fold the felt in half along it's length and snip into the crease from both end so that the safety pin can be inserted and the felt will lay flat over it. Glue the felt to the back of the card to hold the safety pin in place
- Don't forget to clean your paintbrush with white spirit immediately after applying each coat of varnish.